Art Show Rules 2019
THIS IS A JURIED SHOW
As World Fantasy is a professional conference, artists who wish to display and sell their art in the art show must be approved by the jury.
You are exempt from the jury process IF you meet any of the following criteria:
- You have exhibited in a World Fantasy Convention℠ Art Show in 2 of the last 4 years
- You have been a Guest of Honor at a World Fantasy Convention℠
- You have been a World Fantasy Award℠ winner
- You have exhibited in the Main Show at Illuxcon
If you meet one or more of the above criteria, you may proceed and Request Space and Pay Your Fees
If you do not meet the qualifications for exemption, you must go through the jury process.
The Jury Process
WHAT YOU NEED TO SEND
You should submit at least 3, but no more than 6 samples of your work. Samples may be digital or physical samples.
Digital samples of your work are preferred, provided the size of the email containing the samples is no more than 1MB (send multiple emails if necessary). Files should be formatted as JPEG/JPG, GIF, PNG, or TIFF. Multiple emails or a link to file sharing service (such as: box.com, dropbox or google drive) are acceptable. All files submitted should be formatted as JPEG/JPG, GIF, PNG, or TIFF
If there is a web site that contains samples of your work, that web site address is likely all we need.
Digital submissions or links to website or file sharing service should be sent along with your WFC 2019 Art Show Entry Form to email@example.com
Physical samples may be: tear sheets, photos, magazine covers, or slides.
Please don’t send originals of any kind, full-size prints, or transparencies.
If you would like your physical samples returned to you, you must include a SASE large enough to hold your samples, with sufficient postage.
Please send in your WFC 2019 Art Show Entry Form with your jury materials to the address on the form.
ART SHOW ENTRY FORM
Sending the form allows us to put your name on your space as soon as the jury has passed your work without the delay of another mailing.
DO NOT SEND ANY FEES UNTIL YOU ARE APPROVED
If you are approved for the show, you will receive a confirmation letter or email and a bill for your space.
If you are not approved for this show, you will be notified by email.
DEADLINE FOR JURY SUBMISSIONS IS JULY 1, 2019
You may designate an Agent to bring your artwork to and from the Art Show. This person will be responsible for hanging your art and making any decisions regarding it at the convention. You must give them a letter authorizing them to act for you to give to us at check-in, and list their name and address on the reservation form where indicated.
The shipping address for artwork will be included in your confirmation letter.
All art shipped to the show must be shipped pre-paid. Please use reusable cartons/packing material and avoid packing peanuts if possible.
The convention will not be responsible for damage to mail-in pieces.
You must also include payment for return postage with your artwork.
Unless you specify another carrier or a different amount of return insurance, your art will be returned within one week of the show via USPS and insured for minimum bid value.
There is no mail-in fee, but you must have a supporting membership for the convention in order to mail in art. A supporting membership is US $50 and entitles you to all published materials and to vote for the World Fantasy Awards. (The supporting membership requirement will be waived if you are a past WFC Guest of Honor).
There will be space for both 3D and 2D work.
All 2D work will be hung on pegboard panels measuring 4 foot high by 3 foot wide. You may bring material to cover your panels, but please make sure it is flame-retardant (and have proof of this). We will supply hooks and clips to hang your work.
Tables are 6 feet long by 2.5 feet wide.
Small 3D artwork (such as jewelry) should be in a lockable, closed display case. Small items without a case should be securely fastened to a larger display board or device.
If possible, please supply shipping boxes with packing materials for 3D art for transport by a buyer.
Please let us know if you have any special needs or requests (electricity for table displays, free-standing artwork space) and we will try to accommodate you.
Open to exhibiting artists only.
There will be no commission on Print Shop sales. A flat fee of $1 per item entered will be charged. For example, if you enter 4 copies each of 4 different prints the fee will be 4 x 4 x $1 or $16. Fees may be charged at check-in, if you change the amounts entered on your reservation form.
We are planning to have all copies of prints hung on long hooks on panels, so please have your prints matted, mounted, shrink-wrapped or sleeved for protection while displayed.
Each print should be clearly marked on the back with the artist name, piece title, and price.
There will also be a print shop ID tag supplied to you to put on each copy. No loose unmatted prints will be allowed in the Print Shop.
PAYMENT FOR FEES
Fees must be paid in US dollars drawn upon a US bank, payable to “World Fantasy 2019”. You can also pay us online using MasterCard, Visa, Discover or PayPal.
Panel fees are US$40 for a 4′ high x 3′ wide panel, with a maximum of 8 panels per artist.
Table fees are US$60 for a 6′ long by 2.5′ wide table, $33 for ½ table, with a maximum of 2 tables per artist.
We will charge a 5% commission on total Art Show (not Print Shop) sales in excess of $2,000.
PAYMENT FOR SALES
Artists will be paid for sold art work between four and six weeks after the convention. No payments will be made at the convention. Checks will be payable to the Artist’s legal name as shown on the registration form, unless you specify another payee or business name.
All pieces are sold without any reproduction rights. We will provide each artist with a list of their pieces sold with the names and addresses of the purchasers.
If you wish to bring a special display for your art, we will try to accommodate you. All such requests will be handled individually.
Be prepared for the Art Show staff to handle your sold artwork. Please provide packing materials for small 3D objects.
We deposit all checks/money orders as they are received. This does not guarantee that every artist will get all the space they request. Refunds will be made for excess fees.
There is no Artist Alley but there will be an Art Show Reception for all convention members during which artists can discuss their work in front of their displays.
There will be awards – Best In Show, Judges’ Choice, and Honorable Mentions.
In all things, the judgment and decisions of the Art Show Directors are final.
Precise paperwork instructions and a timeline will be sent with your confirmation materials. We will have electronic entry for your art data.
- April 1, 2019 — Start accepting applications
- July 1, 2019 — Deadline for jury submissions
- July 15, 2019 — Jury decisions made
- August 15, 2019 — Deadline for non-juried artist reservations and fees
- August 31, 2019 — ALL artists notified of acceptance into show and amount of space granted
- October 27, 2019 — Mail-in artwork must be received (address for shipping supplied with acceptance)
- December 17, 2019 — All payments to artists finalized
1. Artists are encouraged to show predominantly new works of a Fantasy, Horror (Dark Fantasy), or similar theme. Science fiction art with fantasy elements is also acceptable. Only original artwork will be hung in the show. There will be no “resold” artwork allowed—all work must be the property of the artist exhibiting at the show. An agent may be designated to bring artwork to and from the show.
2. Single, signed copies of “Fine Art Prints” from a limited edition (100 or less) may be displayed in the main Art Show. Fine Art prints are hand-made by the artist from a physical object (e.g., lithographic stones, etching plates, silk-screens, photographic material, etc.).
3. “Mechanically produced prints” are entirely produced by a mechanical device without handwork by the artist (e.g., giclee, inkjet, laserprint, offset, color copier, etc.) from any kind of original (including all-digital). Artists are requested to hang such art in the Print Shop only.
4. The 45th WFC reserves to right to refuse the exhibition of any piece for any reason. Works that are judged to be libelous, plagiaristic, obscene, or detrimental to the value of trademarked characters will not be permitted. Likewise, no artwork from commercial patterns, kits, or molds is permitted. If you have any questions, include a sample of the questionable piece with your jury materials. If problems arise, you may be requested to not show a particular piece.
5. All 2-Dimensional artwork must be matted, or mounted, or framed. If framed, please have a hanging wire on the back. When creating your display, please allow enough room for bid sheets. Small 3-Dimensional artwork (such as jewelry) must be in a lockable, closed display case. Small items without a case should be securely fastened to a larger display board or device. Limited display case space may be available; please ask. The 45th WFC is not responsible for theft or damage to small pieces displayed without these precautions.
6. All artwork must be clearly labeled. A bid sheet must be made out for all pieces, whether or not for sale. The piece number must be on the back/bottom of each piece (on stickers which will be provided), as well as the artist’s name and piece title.
7. Once entered in the show no piece may be withdrawn before the close of the show on Sunday, nor may the conditions of sale, amount of minimum bid, Quick Sale price, NFS status, etc. be changed without the express approval of the Art Show Director.
8. The Art Show will be set up on Wednesday evening and/or Thursday morning. Art will be accepted for display starting sometime on Thursday in the late morning. A receipt will be issued for all art accepted. Artwork may not be reclaimed without this receipt and identification. If you cannot reclaim your art yourself, please make prior arrangements for your agent with the Art Show Director.
9. There will be NO voice auction. Each bid sheet will have space for 5 written bids. Sheets will be added if necessary.
10. Photography will ONLY be allowed within the Art Show by permission of the Art Show Director. Please do not give anyone permission to photograph your artwork in the Art Show unless you are present. Press photographers may be allowed to take wide-angle shots of the room, or photograph a particular artist’s panels with the artist present.
11. There will be a “Quick Sale” option for buyers. If there are no bids on the piece, it may be purchased immediately for the price you set (we recommend at least 150% of the minimum bid). The piece will not be able to be removed from the show until pickup on Sunday, so it will still be displayed and eligible for awards. If you do not wish to use this option, put “N/A” in that space on the control and bid sheets.
12. By submitting a signed reservation form, you agree that you have read and will abide by this entire document.
If you have any questions, please contact the Art Show Director, Joni Brill Dashoff, via email address firstname.lastname@example.org